Google+ Facebook Twitter Tumblr YouTube Email RSS Login

Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: EBG Episode 19 - *facepalm*
Ja-Mez
Administrator
Post EBG Episode 19 - *facepalm*
on: August 31, 2012, 20:37

Hey all,

Episode 19 is now here. We apologize in advance for what is possibly our most random and incoherent episode EVER! Blame it on the alcohol and sun. We won't even list a topic...because there isn't one.

http://www.ipadio.com/broadcasts/EBG/2012/9/1/EBG--Episode-19

Stay Stalwart!

Mercenary
Pen
Pro
Post Re: EBG Episode 19 - *facepalm*
on: September 1, 2012, 05:41

For clarity on the forums issue and birthday, I check the forums- hence why I was able to suggest the planned activity for Manda's birthday...

And to clarify, much as I do prefer stuff to stay on topic, that doesn't equate to me not appreciating any of the regular contributors on the podcast, including James.

Showing people the Errol of their ways...

Errol
Administrator
on: September 1, 2012, 09:05

Heck, I can't remember at all what that one was about, I should listen...

Allooo! My Name is Errol...

Brian
Administrator
on: September 1, 2012, 17:15

RE: MP: "the regular contributors on the podcast, including James."
bwahahhaha! Oh you mean James is on these podcasts too?

RE: Errol: "Heck, I can't remember at all what that one was about, I should listen..."
Hey my ears* could only take 20 minutes of headphone use, but I don't think you were yet in the same side of the room as them after the intro.. 🙂

* This is due to the double ear infection and it really had very little to do with Amanda's loud high laughing!

Mercenary
Pen
Pro
on: September 2, 2012, 11:35

Quote from The eHermit on September 1, 2012, 17:15
RE: MP: "the regular contributors on the podcast, including James."
bwahahhaha! Oh you mean James is on these podcasts too?

I only clarified including James because there seemed to be some doubt as to whether I appreciated his stuff (or just the fact that he tends to stick to the topic)...

Errol
Administrator
on: September 2, 2012, 19:26

The only person that doubts people appreciate Ja-Mez's stuff is Ja-mez himself.

Manpans and I don't doubt it. 😀

Allooo! My Name is Errol...

Brian
Administrator
on: September 3, 2012, 21:09

For suah! James is is the nucleus of the podcast. And all around him are eccentric electrons spinning around trying to trigger cold fission! That's why your comment struck me as funny. He tries so hard to keep them on topic! Besides he's got the great broadcasting voice for it.

(Sorry... my other analogy was of the Dog walker you ask for directions while the pack of Scotties is vying for attention.. I should give up on analogies and go take my Vicodin!)

Mercenary
Pen
Pro
on: September 6, 2012, 09:27

Been thinking a little more on the subs versus dubs topic as discussed in the podcast, and I feel it ended up a little bit one-sided...

For one point, I would like to point out that professionally made translations are not always of professional quality (take the words "All your base are belong to us" from the game Zero Wing for example).

For another point, speaking as a some time linguist, sometimes there is no direct translation of a particular word, meaning that dubbing results in the loss of particular nuances- for example watching the anime of one piece, some of the fansubbing groups decided to stop translating the Japanese word nakama (closest translation would be friend) because the english failed to convey the depth of nuance that the word has- going to a degree of friendship in which one or both parties would be willing to place their lives on the line for one another.

Also, there have been some cases where official and professional translations of series have been an excuse for cutting episodes (one piece) or even welding multiple unrelated series together into something that doesn't do justice to all the material used (Super Dimensional Fortress Macross+ Other series being made into Robotech).

Ja-Mez
Administrator
on: September 12, 2012, 15:58

Yes in the case where the series is being altered to suit an American audience I agree I would much prefer the native series. But I feel like that's a separate issue than subs vs dubs, and I don't think fans care to make that distinction.

It does bug me in the American version of Naruto when they try to edit the violence and a the bloody mess of a character's result is removed from the scene. To be fair I've only seen that from one network that broadcasts the English dubbed series, and doesn't exist on other networks or the DVDs. So again its not an issue with dubbing itself but American standards and practices.

As far as the censorship is concerned or the complete alteration of content/plot, again, I agree that I would rather watch the original version. But, again, that's a related but not still distinct issue in porting shows overseas.

Something I didn't get to go as in depth about is that I feel like I gain more from the english performance. While words can not be directly translated, the emotion of the scene can be, depending on performance. I have no frame of reference for the subtleties of the Japanese language nor the nuance of facial expressions or inflection. But I understand English and its many subtleties and I can say without question that a show where I've read the subtitles and understand the words, the nuance of the moment is always better felt in the English dubbed version.

That said, this is my preference and my logic in the matter. We seemed to be in agreement in the episode so there wasn't really much representation of the otherside of the issue. But either way its a matter of preference, and I don't begrudge anyone for theirs.

I do however find it hilariously ironic that certain people I've met who have had this argument with me, are also fans of Power Rangers...which is probably the least authentic adaptation of Japanese footage for an American Audience. 😉

Quote from The eHermit on September 3, 2012, 21:09Besides he's got the great broadcasting voice for it.

Ya know I have been told that on a number of occasions and it always baffles me, because I don't hear it.

Stay Stalwart!

Mercenary
Pen
Pro
on: September 12, 2012, 17:39

What I'm getting at is that I tend to take a middle stance on this, because there are some series I will watch in dubs for whatever reason (for example Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, because there's so much going on on screen), but there are other things where I will go for the subs.

As far as power rangers is concerned- not my thing these days, I watched earlier series when I was younger and less picky- these days I give it a miss.

Pages: [1]