Google+ Facebook Twitter Tumblr YouTube Email RSS Login

Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Spoilers: Sherlock - Season 2 - Episode 1
Brian
Administrator
Post Spoilers: Sherlock - Season 2 - Episode 1
on: February 8, 2013, 10:23

Just to start things off - I really liked how all of the cases that he didn't take in the beginning all tied into the current case at the end.

I really feel like I should have caught onto the fact that there were similarities in some of them. I did get distracted by how the three comic book geeks disappeared and then came back in. Slight of hand... However, the fact that there was a case that baffled Holmes really should have been a big red flag too..

Whitless
Administrator
Post Re: Spoilers: Sherlock - Season 2 - Episode 2
on: February 8, 2013, 11:17

Oh! Is this Episode 1 or 2? I think you're talking about 1, right?

Brian
Administrator
Post Re: Spoilers: Sherlock - Season 2 - Episode 2
on: February 8, 2013, 12:30

OOops bad edit.. Should be 1.. I'll fix

Brian
Administrator
Post Re: Spoilers: Sherlock - Season 2 - Episode 1
on: February 8, 2013, 12:31

So what was it that did it for you in the last 15 minutes of the episode?

Whitless
Administrator
on: February 8, 2013, 13:15

Quote from blayman on February 8, 2013, 12:31
So what was it that did it for you in the last 15 minutes of the episode?

Well, one thing was that I honestly was wondering how Sherlock would get the upper hand. I kind of figured he would, but I had no clue how. But it wasn't just that the fact that he DID win, it was the entire build-up to that moment that is some of the most wonderful combination of story-telling, acting, music, editing that I've seen. It was a moment that had to be very well done in order for the reveal to work and they nailed it.

When I was first watching it, before I knew what exactly would happen or what the password would be, it was actually the acting that just had me floored. The chemistry between the two actors is just phenomenal. Errol was saying in the quotes earlier that he can't watch stop motion without analyzing it, and the same goes for me and acting. Thankfully, i can still lose myself in it, but the entire time I was watching I couldn't help but take in their breathing patterns and eye contact and breathe right along with them. I got caught up in it just from their performance. I'm about to get a bit acting geek here, but when you learn acting you learn a lot about breath, not even to "do it correctly" but mostly just to be aware of it, where it's going, what happens, why do we stop breathing. It's a note I'll often get in rehearsal when I'm having trouble with a scene which is "You're holding your breath. Stop it."

Another technique of acting I learned was a variation on the Meisner technique in which you immediately assess what sort of relationship is going on a scene. There are 4 main ones (lover-lover, parent-child, older sibling-younger sibling, younger sibling-older sibling). Lover-lover doesn't necessarily mean lovers, it very much includes friends or any sort of conversation that has intimacy and this is very much a lover-lover conversation. Mycroft might as well not even be in the room. You also study what part of the body people generally lead with and the body language of Sherlock and Irene was also great.

And it's funny, because there are scenes that are explicitly meant to be "sexy" like when Adler first meets Sherlock. However this scene is one that I would identify as the sexiest scene in the show (the second one being the reveal of the boomerang scene). It's incredibly intimate and what's amazing is that Adler is not just being affected by the fact that Sherlock has beat her and that her life is now in danger, but she's also being affected by the fact that she's actually a little turned on by this, that she's actually fighting her emotions in that moment while at the same time Sherlock is very quickly burying his although he gives in a little.

The music is the other aspect that swept me along. The moment I was able to download that track I did. I listen to it a lot.

And of course the reveal. What's so great about it is that you don't care how obvious it seemed or how much you missed. It wasn't a "WHAT?! THAT'S STUPID!" moment, it was a "OH MY GOD WHY DIDN'T I GUESS THAT, THAT'S AWESOME!" moment. They fooled us by misdirecting that it was numbers and not letters, but it was a fun ride to the end and I didn't mind being fooled because in this case I was surprised and I'm rarely surprised in television. It was lots of fun.

Mostly though, it was the acting and the characters. Good lord, those performances were just hypnotic.

Whitless
Administrator
on: February 8, 2013, 13:30

And despite the fact that Adler was certainly written differently from the original story, and yes, that they did ramp up the sexiness factor, I don’t think that she was a badly written character and her relationship with Sherlock is the heart of this episode. It drives it forward and is also what makes the reveal work so well.

The Irene Adler of the movies was mostly there to help drive the plot forward and to provide Sherlock something to moon over/save. This Adler also depends on Sherlock’s help right at the very end, but she also feels like more of a character. You actually get to know her, and the beauty of this is you mostly get to know her offscreen through texts. One of the more effective scenes of the episode is watching Sherlock scroll through the list of texts we’ve already seen throughout the episode. And at the time we also think she’s dead, so we feel right along with him the loss of the one woman who might understand him. The texts are short and few, but they say so much more than Adler in the movies ever said in her dialogue. And that “Goodbye Mr. Holmes” punctuating the end almost seems haunting.

Then of course you find out the truth, but still, it’s an effective scene. Sherlock doesn’t need to say how he feels, it’s all right there in the one text he sent her. Man, I’m rambly today. If I were at home, I’d take time to craft these responses more. They’re a bit all over the place, sorry .

Brian
Administrator
on: February 11, 2013, 09:55

Well now I've got something else I study as I watch shows... The acting I've done was all intuitive and I've wondered what use formal training is because the two classes I've taken were so incredibly basic, that anything covered in them I already did instinctively. I never needed help getting rid of inhibitions in front of people or separating my own character from the existence of the other character as I've never felt like I was playing a character as a mechanical action, but rather simply becoming that character.. There are roles and characters I might now have difficulty with as I would worry my playing them would change people's view of me, but that's a different issue. I worried that all the rest of it might just formalize your acting and almost be more of a limiting factor. Please don't take me as putting down your training as it's the exact opposite. It's a fascination for me as I've lost contact with my friends who actually went that direction and I never got to talk any of this over with them. I've had a couple friends who made it a movies or two or an episode of Law and Order, but we've never talked about what more they learned from when I was beside them. So this opportunity is brilliant. Please don't hesitate to go all acting geek on us 🙂

The use of deliberate breath timing as an expression isn't one I've ever thought about, beyond the blatant extremes. I don't know if it's something I've just done or not. I do study and watch the use of particular muscles in the face. That's something that can radically change your first impression of people and you can have a wide amount of control over how your face is shaped if you think and feel the a particular muscles and can keep part of your mind on keeping them where you've set them. I probably should pay more attention to where I am looking too. I mean I've done it but probably too much in a stilted and deliberate way.

About the scenes: the pass code annoyed me as I had gotten it at first glance when I watched the episode the first time but I had forgotten it by the end because the numbers had distracted me :{ And I agree with you about the boomerang reveal. That was incredible. The writing there was excellent.. the used the abrupt cut to confuse the watcher about how/what was happening to connect them directly to Sherlock's lost feeling at that moment...

One thing that I really liked in the scene with Mycroft, Adler and Sherlock was how Adler's game really wasn't with Sherlock. Mycroft had her attention and he was the real player and Sherlock could have fallen by the wayside at that point. The setting of the scene was excellent as she was slipping away from Sherlock and away from the viewer and then you could almost physically feel the shift of attention along with the shift of the camera angle as Sherlock plays himself back into the scene with the camera looking up at him and then makes her follow him... it's choreographed brilliantly like an expert soccer player caressing the ball toward the goal.

Whitless
Administrator
on: February 11, 2013, 13:23

OH, I actually agree with you about too much formalized acting training. My years at Guelph were much the same: we were basically given a stage and told to go. We got a little bit of insight and training bu tnothing incredibly intensive. Later, I started taking the odd course here or there and really that's the way I preferred it. My acting style changes depending on the show I do or the director I have. I've seen firsthand the limiting factors that occur when an actor is too entrenched in formalized practice.

Brian
Administrator
on: February 11, 2013, 17:06

I guess it's important to be aware of everything and to get the practice in to make things natural and to try out different actions and motions. However, if you're always thinking everything you must be technically doing to correctly do a scene, then I'd imagine that has to be a distraction from just doing it at some point.

Every time you mention your years at Guelph, I picture you surrounded by Skeksis as you perform in front of the Dark Crystal.

Whitless
Administrator
on: February 12, 2013, 15:23

Yes, it all falls back to Errol's "quantity produces quality" argument. At first, yes, half your brain power is concentrating on it, but eventually it starts to become second nature. Same as learning lines too.

Pages: [1] 2