Google+ Facebook Twitter Tumblr YouTube Email RSS Login

Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Spoilers: The Legend of Korra
Brian
Administrator
Post Spoilers: The Legend of Korra
on: February 11, 2013, 16:58

What did you think?

I had a few problems with the series. The main ones being:

1. Korra knew that she was an avatar early on. From everything we know, that's announced to the avatar as a young adult. But she could do all three naturally and declared herself the avatar. That seems wrong.
2. All of the forms were lost. The guards sometimes did bending by using forms, but most everyone else just.. bent..
3. They suddenly know the devices were called air planes... but then again one of Rene Auberjonois' characters let it slip that the world was Earth in the first series - so maybe they just knew..

Observations:
She shouldn't have gotten her powers back at the end. It was too easy. It should have been something she worked for and thus a need for Book 2: water etc etc..

It was hard to predict who Amaan secretly was, if he was just some random dude... But I guess I also would have been disappointed if it really would have been the council member who turned out to be his brother. In fact I was already ready to complain about that. So I guess I have to keep this one off the list...

Bending powers seem to be getting stronger. Maybe people will be able to do multiple things soon and not be the avatar.

Debs
Administrator
Post Re: Spoilers: The Legend of Korra
on: February 12, 2013, 22:20

I like the series, but it's no Avatar. I'm always drawn to origin stories where the main character learns who they are and slowly comes into their power after many trials and tribulations and as you said, that doesn't happen in Korra. I was never clear on how much of a natural she was at bending fire and earth and how much of that came from training before we meet her.

But yes, everything does kind of seem too easy and things happen way too quickly. I completely agree with you on the powers thing because honestly finding a way to get them back could have covered the whole of Book 2.

Ja-Mez
Administrator
on: February 18, 2013, 01:07

Well I think Korra and Aang's series each focused on different thing. Aang's was about the growth of an Avatar from child to Avatar so we barely got to see him as a fully realized Avatar. The story was over but Aang's adventures weren't especially as he still had a rather important responsibility to the world. Korra was about that continuing responsibility. We'd already seen the Avatar growth, let's see how that Avatar deals with that responsibility during a rather tumultuous time.

I liked that Korra dug deeper into the world, especially one where there wasn't such simple political divides and the issues were a little more complex. I liked that it wasn't simply a matter of fighting the enemy, that the issues they were facing required different strategies than just hurling elements at people until you got the big bad.

What was lacking in Korra IMO was the attention given to the supporting cast. Sure they were there, but we never got to know them like the Gaang and we never got to see them grow.

And yes I've always had a problem with how easy the return of her gifts were. I voiced such concerns on the podcast, and I understand that they were under the looming uncertainty about the show's fate so they need to conclude the series. But I feel like they tied up too much story and in a way that was largely unsatisfying. The elimination of the villains was troubling as they will need to invent a new villain plot, or retcon the current ending. And the Dues Ex Machina solution to Korra's lost bending was way too simple and could, itself have been an entire season worth of struggles as she tries to connect to the spirit world.

Stay Stalwart!

Brian
Administrator
on: February 19, 2013, 16:57

I thought the much more profuse use of snot bubbles through out the series added to it too. 😛

It's interesting that I thought Korra did not dig into the world as much as TLA. We got to look at one city (and ice), but I also was asking what else was happening in the world. We just got to see other aspects of the world when people dropped into the story - like the new fire lord. The situations were deeper but Korra, since she was so young, could only really apply simplistic solutions to a more complex situation. I guess I felt things happened to her more than her working to get to a goal. In the end she never even did anything to get past her air bending block (and also suddenly became an expert) and the same for the rest of her bending powers as we mentioned.

Another thing was that I found the robots were a bit of a reach. I mean they are in a industrial revolution and then suddenly I forgot which Avatar I was watching. Did a package arrive from James Cameron on Pandora?

All that said, I still liked the series. Just not as much as the original. The bending matches were very cool.

Gaang: http://limey404.deviantart.com/art/the-gaang-does-not-approve-WIP-169747592

SarahLS
Pro
on: February 20, 2013, 10:06

I felt that the whole series was a mash up of borrowed ideas and cliches. Everything moved along so fast and in a predictable manner. I didn't think there was the growth of the characters like in TLA and everything was too easy. Still liked it just wished for more originality.

Brian
Administrator
on: February 21, 2013, 11:04

I have to forgive that a little bit as there has been so much done in TV and movies that it is hard to fight both comments of "There are no original characters to this show." and "This season was not as good because there wasn't a character like X".

So, for example, there had to be a Sokka like character to play the comedic relief.

SarahLS
Pro
on: June 17, 2013, 13:48

http://www.themarysue.com/the-legend-of-korra-book-2-clip/

First look at book 2

Brian
Administrator
on: June 17, 2013, 15:19

ooooOOOOOOoooo!!! Thanks for Sharing... I like how the one monster let her do her stuff and the was like "meh.. nuff of that..."

SarahLS
Pro
on: August 9, 2013, 17:46

Webisodes!
http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-republic-city-hustle-episode-1-cd3.html?xid=LOKfb

MatthewC
on: August 26, 2013, 01:22

I think the main reason that Korra as it stands can't hold a candle to TLA is partly the fact that the original Avatar was pitched as a 3 season series from the start. They knew where they wanted to go, how long they wanted to take for it and the main themes. I think that if the company had had the faith in the creators and given them the opportunity to create a spinoff under similar conditions, Korra would have been a lot better. There would have been more episodes which would have given more time for character development (first season of tla alone had almost twice as many episodes as Korra), for exploration of this new avatar and all the other bits that made TLA so great. Yeah they settled for Deus Ex Machina in an attempt to wrap it up just in case, which is unfortunate. I think that TLA had enough of a following that they could have committed to a second season before wrapping up the first.

Pages: [1] 2